Raise your hand if you’ve ever been told not to wash your hair everyday! *raises hand WAY up there* I have always been told that washing your hair daily is a BIG no-no. I do know too much cleansing can strip the healthy oils on your scalp; lessening the protection to your scalp. This is why I try to only wash my hair 2x a week, sometimes three depending on what my week looks like. My normal wash days are Sunday & Wednesday. So what do I do on the other five days of the week? Here are my tips & tricks for keeping your hair looking fresh & clean in between washes:
1. WASHING & RINSING: On days I do actually wash my hair, I wash it REALLY REALLY well. By this I mean using a good amount of product to cleanse, lathering my scalp thoroughly & making sure I rinse every last drop of shampoo out.
2. MOISTURIZING: Since I have blonde hair, I make sure to apply my purple conditioner on the days I wash my hair to protect my color, tone & hydrate! Then, after my hair is slightly towel dried, I also apply a bit of leave in condition to the ends of my hair ONLY with my hands and work it through using my fingers.
3. AIR DRYING: Letting your hair air dry as much as possible is SO important! I typically wash my hair at night, so time isn’t really an issue for me. I, also absolutely hate blow drying my hair! It takes me 5-ever to do with such thick, long hair & I don’t like combing or brushing through my hair while it’s wet or damp (TOO MUCH BREAKAGE). So once the towel comes off, I apply the leave-in conditioner & let it be. Once it is completely dry, I make sure to give it a quick brush through & apply a couple spritz of dry shampoo at my roots to help absorb dirt & oil at the start, keeping my hair looking fresher longer. (One of my favorite tips!!)
4. STYLING: For styling on day one, I typically straighten my hair. This helps sleek down any frizz & makes it easy to curl the following day. Curling it on day two helps the curls to hold longer, especially for someone with naturally mostly straight hair. Slightly dirty hair holds curls better & will help create more volume where needed! Day three or “wash day” I try to give my hair a break from any heat and will wear it up or if my curls from the previous day still look good, I’ll just leave it. The next tip is key to keeping it looking clean!
5. D-R-Y SHAMPOO: Dry shampoo is a heaven sent – can I get an amen?! As you can see in the picture above on the left, my roots are pretty dang greasy & weighed down by day three, but in less than two minutes my hair looks clean and full-bodied thanks for dry shampoo! I apply dry whenever I feel my hair is looking greasy or needs a little UMPH! My favorite dry shampoo currently is Batiste & the best part is you can get it for only $5.99 at Target or what I like to do is buy it from Marshalls, you can get TWICE the amount for only a little bit more money!!
There you have it, those are my five steps to keeping my hair looking good between washes! While I’m not a hair stylist or beauty guru, this is what works for me, keeps my hair looking fresh & allows me to keep it healthier than if I was washing it everyday! I’d love to hear your tips for keeping your hair looking fresh between washes, so drop a comment at the end of the post!